Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Which books would you take along?

When I moved from Atlanta to New York a couple of months ago, I had to decide which belongings I could take with me to my new tiny furnished studio apartment and which I had to leave behind in a storage unit. Obviously, my furniture had to stay, plus most of the china and kitchenware, winter clothes, and knick-knacks. The really valuable - rather, invaluable - items like family Bibles and photo albums I left in Kate's charge (not in storage, thank you).

Looking around my many shelves of double- and triple-shelved books, I had to make a decision about which books to store (most of them) and which to take as comfortable old friends. I limited myself to one medium-sized box - though I admit I spilled over to half of another box. As I made my choices, I could almost hear the other books crying out, "What! You're not taking me?" Sorry, old friends. I promise to make it up to you someday.

Well, here's what I chose:
  • The Birds Fall Down by Rebecca West
  • Teller of Tales by Daniel Stashower
  • Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott
  • An Instance of the Fingerpost by Iain Pears
  • Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver
  • The Line of the Sun by Judith Ortiz Cofer
  • The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold
  • The March by E.L. Doctorow
  • The Professor and the Madman and The Meaning of Everything, both by Simon Winchester
  • Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden
  • The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner
  • The Collected Stories of Eudora Welty
  • The Ponder Heart by Eurdora Welty
  • Three Men in a Boat by Jerome K. Jerome
  • Seabiscuit by Laura Hillenbrand
  • The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame
  • The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgsen Burnett
  • Inferno by Dante
  • Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks
  • Abraham Lincoln Trilogy by Carl Sandburg
  • Marley and Me by John Grogan
  • Forever by Pete Hamill
  • Atonement by Ian McEwan
  • To Make Men Free and No Greater Courage by Richard Croker
  • Rebecca by Daphne DuMaurier
  • Girl in Hyacinth Blue by Susan Vreeland
  • Miss Piggle-Wiggle Treasury by Betty MacDonald
  • Pastoralia by George Saunders
  • The Red Tent by Anita Diamant
  • Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil by John Berendt
  • The Fall of a Sparrow by Robert Hellenga
  • City Lights Pocket Poetry Anthology (ed. Lawrence Ferlinghetti)
All my World War I books (fiction and non), for research purposes, including:
  • 1914 and 1915, both by Lyn MacDonald
  • The First World War by John Keegan
  • Testament of Youth by Vera Brittain
  • The First World War by Hew Strachan
  • The Great War: Myth and Memory by Dan Todman
  • The Guns of August by Barbara Tuchman
  • A Very Long Engagement by Sebastien Japrisot
  • Regeneration by Pat Barker
All of my Harry Potter books

So, which of your beloved volumes would holler "Take me along!"?

Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar