After I wrote about Aglamesis Ice Cream for my "A" post, I thought I would be remiss if I didn't also write about the ice cream Cincinnati is known for, and the one I truly think is the best I've ever tasted, Graeter's.
Graeter's has been around since 1870, when it was founded by Bavarian immigrant Louis C. Graeter. Louis and his wife Regina Berger made and sold their ice cream and chocolate candy out of their home until Louis was killed in a streetcar accident in 1919. What is interesting to me is that from that tragedy, Regina carried on and actually opened Graeter's first satellite store in the Cincinnati neighborhood of Hyde Park. Over the next few decades, Regina expanded the business until the Graeter's family had a network of stores all over Cincinnati. She was called "boss" by everyone in the Graeter's business, including her own sons!
According to the Graeter's website, "Louis Charles Graeter may have founded the business, but Regina made it blossom. Undoubtedly, without her, there would be no Graeter’s Ice Cream today."
I always find it so interesting to read about strong women from times when so many doors were closed to them. Even though I've loved Graeter's ice cream all my life, I never knew the story of Regina, and it was fun to learn about this sharp lady who must have been an extremely shrewd businesswoman.
For a long time, Graeter's was merely a Cincinnati treat, but the company has now spread to include regional locations, and their ice cream is available in grocery stores in various parts of the country. In addition, Graeter's can be ordered online and they will ship pints of the ice cream anywhere in the United States. In 2002, Oprah named Graeter's as her favorite ice cream, and the popularity took off astronomically from there.
I've actually never had anything bad at Graeter's, but I can't deny I have a soft spot for their Buckeye Blitz ice cream. As an Ohio State alum and a Buckeye fanatic, this one is a can't miss for me. It's an ice cream version of chocolate and peanut butter Buckeye candies, and the fact that the mascot Brutus Buckeye is on the carton merely adds to the appeal. Like I said, I'm a fanatic. :D
If you're ever in Cincinnati, don't go home without trying out some Graeter's ice cream. I really don't think you'll be disappointed.

0 Yorumlar